Thursday, February 10, 2011

"just" a mom...

I am a woman (Ok... so I'm not sure I feel like a woman parse... But I'm female).
Yes, I don't think you should limit yourself to what the world thinks you should do. You shouldn't limit yourself in anything. Achieve your dreams! "Go for it!" and all that jazz...
However...
I don't think being a mother and wife limits you. AT ALL.
Yes, it makes it much harder to have a job outside the home when you're busy inside the home. But that doesn't mean you are limiting yourself by being "just" a mother.

...
So, I just watched this movie for school that was openly and blatantly feminist.
Yeah, men are paid more. Yes, women in our society aren't as valued as they should be. I get that.
But this made it sound like the women who chose to be "just" mothers were denying a part of themselves.
Well yes... Of course... How DARE you devote you life to someone else. How DARE you raise up the new generation with morals and decency....
Now, I know that once you become a mother you don't just magically become Mrs. Beaver. You still have those interests and talents that may not relate to motherhood. Cool. But I still don't think you should say that you're denying yourself by choosing to be a mother.

GR!!!

No comments: