Monday, June 1, 2009

A phone that makes me feel old...

Wow... I feel old...

So, I was asked to substitute for a class at church yesterday... 7 and 8 year olds. Ok, cool. All in all, it actually went really well. ^.^ I actually had this particular bunch of kids when they were Sunbeams (3 and 4 yrs old), so it was fun to see how they've changed. They haven't much, they're just louder. So that was fun.
But anyway, it was on prayer. And so I started out by saying "So, who here has a family member who lives really far away." A couple responces. (see, louder! Before I would have to coax them to say their names) "So, ok. How do you talk to them?" (talk=prayer. Ain't I clever? ^.^ I bet no one's ever thought of that coralation before!)

One person said a plane, so I drew a really bad plane on the bord.
Yes, I realize it's really bad, but it's something... You can at least recognize it a little, right? ^.^;

So next they said walkie-talkie.... Ok

Well, next they say phone. "Aha! I was wondering when they'd get there..."


Yes, while I realize that is a REALLY bad drawing of a phone... you can recognize it...

So one of the kids says "That doesn't look like a phone!"

Yeah, it's a bad drawing? ... so? Whatever, I don't really care. "Would you like to draw one?"
So I let her...


... A cell phone...

I feel old... Do you feel old? I sure feel old...

2 comments:

Schmetterling said...

I was talking with a friend a few days ago and we were speculating what it will be like a decade from now when we have kids and we try to explain to them what a dial tone was.

"When I was a kid, you'd pick up the phone--"

"Dad, we still have to pick up the phone to use it."

"No, I mean it was attached to the wall, and by picking it up, you would turn it on."

"Did it have motion sensors in it?"

"No, it was just sitting on a button, and you'd pick it up and then it would give you a dial tone to tell you the line was open."

"What's a dial tone?"

"It was just a noise phones used to make. It sound like buuuuuuuuuuuuuuubububuuuuuuuuuuuu."

"Dad, there's no way that's true."

Jenny said...

Heh... That day may come faster then we think.

"Back in my day... we didn't have the internet..."

*gasp* "How did you survive!?!?!"