Tuesday, October 28, 2008

lines

Hey all! I'm still kick'n!
Who... I'm not going to say, but I'm still kick'n. ^.^

Anyway, working in retail as I do, I work with a lot of people who are annoyed at the length of time they have to spend in the line... -_-;

You know them, you may have even been one at one time or another. (I haven't, 'cause I'm just perfect like that. ^.~) They yell at you as they come through the line, or if they're especially proficient, they do it while still in line. I forget who said it in General Conference... But they said something like this about angry drivers, "They act like you've insulted their mother, father, aunt, uncle, friends, dog, and all of your ancestors all the way back to Adam." I think that summarizes it pretty well. ^.^;

Anyway, rather then trade horror stories, I was thinking about the different reactions people have to different lines.

1. retail lines
2. grocery lines
3. theme park lines (ex: MM)

1- Well... I kinda already talked about these. You're willing to wait a little. But when it comes down to it, you're not going to wait more then about 15 minutes.

2- Groceries. Very similar as far as I've been able to compare. But I think people are a bit more willing to wait longer since, y'know... you kinda need food. Y'know... To live. To make it easier, I'll say 30 minutes, although it's probably more like 20.

3-Theme parks... For this, I'm gunna use Magic Mountain. ('cause I've been there recently-ish. And y'know... MM rocks!) ... (*ehem*) Now the average line there is about an hour, right? Longer? Maybe two if it's really popular? Probably three or four in the peak season.

So... We're willing to wait up to 8 times longer for a two minute thrill then we are for life-sustaining nourishment?...

I do it too. Don't get me wrong. But why???

I have no answer, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.
edit:

Picture!! ^.^ A quicky pic, but it gets the point across.


8 comments:

Schmetterling said...

Good to know you're kickin'--someone other than me.

In humanity's defense, I'd like to point out that, when you're waiting in line at an amusement park, you're usually with a group of friends and don't have anywhere else you have to go. Sometimes, when you're at the store, you're alone and stressed out 'cuz you've got, like, a million things you've gotta do before stores start closing for the night.

That said, some people are just real jerks, and people like that shouldn't go out in public 'cuz, dang, they're just MEAN! I met some people like that when I worked retail--just can't please some folks....

Jenny said...

But only because you're so far away. ;p

Oh, this is very true... Very much the environment.

Heh... Also very true... >.< Heh, I can see it now, a new law on the books that says "you must be this happy to ride this life" ^.^ I like it! Ooo! I wanna draw that! I haven't drawn enough lately... *sigh*

Lola said...

So lines huh? Hmm...

Jenny said...

LOLA!!! *hugs Lola* ^.^ So you're kickn' too! Haza!!

Yupyup. Lines...

Lola said...

lol! love the pic!

Katie said...

Actually, if I get really bored in line, I like to start conversations with the people who are also in line. If they'll let me. It's also sometimes fun to get "you're crazy" looks from people who don't like to talk to strangers who are standing in line with them at the store . . .

Jenny said...

Heh... Yeah, I've been on both ends of that. Usually I'm the one giving the odd look. But usually it's cool when people just star up conversations with me. ^.^ Especially when it's about whatever I'm buying. Makes it less awkward.

Jenny said...

Oh, and glad you like the pic Lola! ^.^