Saturday, June 7, 2008

A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit

I ran across an interesting statement in my scripture reading last night...

"A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit."
(I was reading it in 3 Nephi, but this statement is also in Matthew)

Now, I have heard the second part referred to a lot, or at least I've noticed it more then I have the first half. A corrupt tree cannot bring forth good fruit. As I take it, a bad person... Well, let me say that a person with bad intentions, can not do something good. It won't do him any good. (bad tree, no good fruit) Ex: If you give someone a gift, but do it grudgingly, then it won't do you any good. It won't bring you closer to eternal salvation.

But the first part... "A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit,"... That really caught my attention yesterday.

I don't know that I've ever really thought about that... Now, I don't take it to mean that a good person (the tree) can never do anything wrong (bad fruit). I think of myself as a good person, and I know I've done my share of bad things...

The main thought that comes to my head about this is that with good intentions, even if they fail, you did your part. You did good.

I find that very uplifting. Even if you fail. Even if you had the best intentions and the thing you were trying to do failed horribly... it's ok.

Now, I should probably clarify my thoughts... Maybe intentions isn't the best word to use... If you... If you truly believe you are doing the right thing. Not for the press, not because that cute guy next door is doing it, not for Aunt Marge... But if you truly believe you are doing the right thing...

I'm reminded of a "Sabrina: The Teenage Witch" episode I saw... Sabrina was on a guilt trip on a bus, and one of the other travelers on the guilt trip (don't blame me, I don't write the jokes) was having this sort of problems. He was a financial advisor who gave out stocks advice. And lately the advice he had given people had pretty much left them bankrupt. Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, he felt kinda bad. Sabrina pointed out to him that it wasn't his fault. The stocks are a risky business. But if he had given them the advice in the belief that it was the right thing, he had no reason to feel guilty.

That's what this reminds me of. If you are a good tree, if you are a good person, and you try your best, then you cannot bring forth bad fruit. You cannot do bad things.
A good tree cannot bring for evil fruit...

Cannot...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what about us slightly crooked trees? ;) -Genesius

Jenny said...

Lol. Well hm... I don't know. You're just weird, he doesn't talk about you. ;P

Side note, wow! I didn't think you'd actually comment on this one Gen. ^.^ Cool. *huggles!*

Schmetterling said...

Waywaywaywaywait...

You said, "I think of myself as a good person, and I know I've done my share of bad things..."

You--YOU? Lemme get this straight: YOU think of yourself as a (is this right?) "good person"??

Fascinating....

Jenny said...

SHH!! You're not supposed to reveal my secret Schmetter! I don't want to corrupt the minds of people wo don't know me yet!

I want to allow people the illusion of thinking I'm a wonderful person!