Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Alcatraz...

Short, I didn't like it. There were parts I liked, some of the lines were down-right hilliarious, but as a whole I didn't like it. I wanted to, but didn't.

Long, the writing style and the... how do you explain it... At the beginning it was a whimsical book about evil librarians and a strangly important bag of sang. Ok, I can live with that. At the end it was a story about a boy with a strange talent finding himself and coming to terms with reality... I'm also ok with that... But the mix... and in the same book. >.< It wasn't quite one thing, and it wasn't quite the other.

I like to escape in my books, I've said that. I like to snuggle up comfortably and let them lull me into their world. In this book I felt like I was snuggling into a bed that was too small for me... I kept worrying about falling off. And if I did manage to keep my balance something in the story would drop out from under me and I was left struggling to maintain my balance on the reformed surface...

So yeah... wanted to... parts I liked... didn't...rutabaga...

2 comments:

Schmetterling said...

I knew you'd like the rutabaga--even if you didn't like anything else.

Yeah, it's not a good book to escape into. That's why I liked it, I think: it kept reminding me that it was not real. I don't enjoy leaving the real world. I mean, I like my life; why would I trade something I like that's real for something that's fake--no matter how exciting the fake thing may be?

Just doesn't make sense to me....

(I realize I'm the minority on this point, that most people who enjoy reading enjoy escaping, but I like to stay as close to the real world as I can; for me, the farther something takes me from reality, the less likable it is.)

Jenny said...

Yeah... I have to admit... the rutabega was cute...

Reality!! HISS!!! BAD!!
I like your life too, I just need an escape from the regular.

But I'm glad you liked it, and I'm glad for the recomendation. ^.^