Monday, March 10, 2008

Why do things stay popular??

I had a thought... I'm in an art class and I had the assignment to look up works by Sol LeWitt. So I did, and I'm looking at these pictures... Now, they're nice... but ... they don't have any meaning to me. And that got me wondering... Why do things last? I mean, why do things in popular culture last the test of time?

Ok, they last because people still care, because *insert reason here*. But why? Most things in pop culture, like Sol DeWitt, or even Elvis to site a more known example, that are known because they are known. Let's take Elvis...Not very far, but let's take him for a short jaunt around the block. I heard his name even before I knew who he was or had heard his music. I saw a real picture of him and thought he was a bad impersonator. You can know who he is without really knowing who he is.

Is that the only reason he's still around? (I mean his name... not that he himself is still around... He was abducted by aliens, we all know that. ^.~) Is the only reason we still know him because of his popularity?
Can someone's popularity survive just by the sheer amount of it??

I honestly don't know...

Not that you have to know, but I just thought I'd throw the idea out into cyberspace and see how far it floats.
And no, I'm not saying we shouldn't know who Elvis is, or that he's bad. I'm just trying to make a point. I'm sure the fact that he's good also goes into the equation of why he's still around. My question is just why are things around in general, and can they life of their popularity to keep them popular. Elvis was simply my guinea pig.

And you know... one of these days I'll actually take time and make a introduction post... Been meaning too... ^.^; Some time this week I will... >.<
Ja!

No comments: